5 ways in which VFX is important to movies
A movie essentially is a means to tell a story in the most appealing way. Each story has its individual essence that is preserved by the way in which it is narrated. Visual effects, these days are proving to be the best way to tell a story and is giving the story-teller or the director a new taste of freedom to successfully convert a story into a movie. Although, film makers started making use of this technique since the early 1900’s to make their imagination, come alive. The use of VFX is not restricted to fantasy of sci-fi movies anymore, it has spread its wings across all movie genres.
There are various ways in which Visual Effects holds a very important position in the entertainment industry today. Some of the reasons are:
- From surrealism to subtle effects, visual effects transforms an audio-visual footage into an interesting movie or advertisement. From obscuring objects to changing backgrounds, from adding and removing objects to building virtual sets and everything that is otherwise time consuming and cost burdening, can be added to a movie with the help visual effects software.
It is a cinematic technique that allows the addition of computer graphics into live-action footage with correct position, scale, orientation, and motion relative to the photographed objects in the shot.
2) Matte Painting:
It is a type of digital painting used for a landscape, or a set that allows filmmakers to create the illusion of an environment that has no existence in real life.
This is one of the emerging VFX techniques in which animators trace over footage, frame by frame, for use in live-action and animated movies.
A technique for compositing two full frame images together the most popularly used VFX technique in Bollywood.
5) Motion control photography:
To explain in a simple way this process involves the controlling of the camera movements to create a surreal visual effect. Many VFX movies in Hollywood have been using this technique for ages.
- Visual effects are comparatively cheaper than their substitutes. For instance it would undoubtedly be more expensive to make an actual plane crash for a scene in a movie than projecting one using superior visual effect programming. The use of visual effects is time effective too. The requirement of a king’s palace in the movie does not only need money it demands hell lot of time as well. Can a director afford to invest so much of time before starting the shoot!
- Capturing the audience with visual effects especially in action movies is one of the most effective ways to do so. Visual and special effects are one of the most effective ways to create visual and emotional stimulation in the viewer. Our brain can process images 60,000 times faster than text and 90% of information feeding to the brain is visual. Certain researches also show that people tend to remember things if they are represented through visual effects. Hence VFX can play an important role in advertising industry.
- The visual effects that go unnoticed by most people are perhaps even more impressive than the traditional ones that amaze us. Invisible visual effects can be as subtle as fixing blemishes, or polishing a product, or as dramatic as turning day into night, or winter into spring. Invisible effects are like a first aid to the movie, it takes care of the minute imperfections in the footage without anyone noticing it, but people would definitely have noticed something if they had not been used.
- With people getting more and more aware about the concept of VFX, the are more attracted to it. Often these days people go for a movie solely to witness the visual effects present in it. VFX has been the USP for many movies and has also been a major reason behind its total profit.